State Health Plan Savings Plan members can contribute to a Health Savings Account, or HSA. An HSA helps you get the most out of your health plan by reducing your taxes while saving for future medical expenses. An HSA is essential to help you prepare for your health expenses.
- Pay for out-of-pocket medical expenses, such as deductibles and prescriptions.
- Carry over all funds from one year to the next.
- You own the account and keep it if you leave your job or retire.
- While there is an annual contribution limit, there's no limit to how much you can save in your account.
- Once your account balance reaches $1,000, you can invest funds to earn investment income tax-free.
- Use the Online Bill Pay feature to pay your medical bills or reimburse yourself.
- Pay for eligible healthcare items with your debit card in-store, online or at your doctor.
2021 Contribution limits
Your health coverage level determines your contribution limit.
- $3,600 for self-only coverage;
- $7,200 for family coverage; and
- Additional $1,000 catch-up contributions for members ages 55 and older.
Limited-use Medical Spending Account
If you have an HSA, you can enroll in a Limited-use Medical Spending Account (MSA) to pay for dental and vision care expenses. Doing so allows you to save your HAS funds for future medical expenses.
You can enroll in an HSA anytime throughout the year. To contribute money pretax through payroll deduction, you must enroll in an HSA through MyBenefits. Follow the link during the enrollment process to open your HSA bank account or visit schsa.centralbank.net. To complete your HSA enrollment, you must open a bank account with Central Bank and enter a validation code in MyBenefits.
ASIFlex/HSA Central were awarded the contract to administer HSAs effective January 1, 2022. In March 2022, HSAs will move to the HSA Central platform, which will be the new hub for all things related to HSAs. Be on the lookout for more information about this upgrade in early 2022 if you participate in an HSA.
|Health Savings Account||$1.00|
|Central Bank (HSA)|
|Maintenance fee (balances less than $2,500)||$1.25|