The Judges and Solicitors Retirement System (JSRS) is a defined benefit retirement plan for South Carolina’s public justices, judges, solicitors and circuit public defenders. The retirement plan assumes life expectancy and investment risk.
Membership in JSRS is mandatory for anyone taking office as Chief Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court, Associate Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court, Court of Appeals Judge, Circuit Court Judge, Family Court Judge, Administrative Law Judge, Solicitor or Circuit Public Defender prior to age 72.
You contribute a tax-deferred 10% of your gross pay. Your JSRS account earns 4% interest compounded annually until you retire, or your account becomes inactive.
- Monthly retirement benefit is based on a formula, not on your account balance at retirement.
- Benefit adjustments.
- Service purchase options.
- Disability protection.
- In-service death benefit.
- Incidental death benefit.
As a member of JSRS, you need to meet the plan’s eligibility requirements to retire and receive a benefit. Generally, to qualify for a service retirement annuity, you:
- Must no longer be in the service of the state, except for service as a member of the South Carolina General Assembly;
- Must have at least 10 years of earned service as a judge, have at least eight years of earned service as a solicitor or public defender or have been in service as a judge or solicitor on July 1, 1984; and
- Must meet one of the following age and service requirements:
- 25 years of service credit as a justice or judge;
- 24 years of service credit as a solicitor or circuit public defender;
- Age 65 with at least 20 years of service credit in JSRS; or
- Age 70 with at least 15 years of service credit in JSRS.
Planning for your future
PEBA’s retirement awareness series, Be Aware and Prepare, provides you with information that can help you make smart decisions about your financial future. Regardless of how we define retirement awareness, PEBA believes it’s important to plan for a secure financial future and think about what life will be like after you quit working. We encourage you to use these resources and act now to help secure your financial future.