Unexpected events can always occur, and many people think they will never become disabled. Long term disability coverage is available to eligible employees. Standard Insurance Company administers disability coverage.
Basic Long Term Disability
You are automatically enrolled in Basic Long Term Disability at no cost if you enroll in health insurance. The maximum benefit is $800 per month. Below is an overview of the coverage:
- A 90-day benefit waiting period;
- A monthly benefit1 of 62.5 percent of your predisability earnings, reduced by deductible income; and
- A maximum benefit period to age 65 if you become disabled before age 62. If you become disabled at age 62 or older, the maximum benefit period is based on your age at the time of disability.
Supplemental Long Term Disability
Eligible active employees may elect more coverage for additional protection. The Supplemental Long Term Disability (SLTD) benefit provides competitive group rates; survivor’s benefits for eligible dependents; coverage for injury, physical disease, mental disorder or pregnancy; return-to-work incentive; SLTD conversion insurance; cost-of-living adjustment; and lifetime security benefit. Below is an overview of the coverage:
- A 90-day or 180-day benefit waiting period;
- A monthly benefit1 of 65 percent of your predisability earnings, reduced by deductible income;
- A minimum $100 monthly benefit; and
- A maximum $8,000 monthly benefit.
Your premium is determined by your age as of the preceding January 1 and your benefit waiting period.
You can enroll in Supplemental Long Term Disability coverage during:
- Your initial enrollment;
- Open enrollment in October; or
- Anytime throughout the year with medical evidence.
1Benefits are subject to federal and state income taxes. Check with your accountant or tax advisor regarding your tax liability.